Preparing for Surgery
Unless otherwise instructed, do not eat or drink after midnight the night before surgery.
Day of Surgery
To ensure a smooth process on the day of your surgery, please notify your surgeon of any changes in your health such as a fever, cold, or sore throat.
- Bring your photo ID and insurance cards with you.
- Bring a list of current medications and dosages and any paperwork your doctor may have given you regarding test results or medical history.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing.
- Upon arrival, you will change into a hospital gown, slippers and cap. You will be asked to remove all piercings, jewelry, dentures, contact lenses, hearing aids, glasses and prosthesis when deemed necessary.
- Once prepared for surgery your escort may sit with you until you are taken to the operating room.
After Surgery – Post-Op
After surgery you will remain in the post-operative area, where you will be closely monitored until you are ready to go home. When you are awake and alert, your escort will be able to join you. Although times may vary, most patients are discharged 30 – 90 minutes after surgery. It is perfectly normal to feel discomfort in the area of surgery. Your nurse will help make you comfortable. You may also experience some normal drowsiness or dizziness depending on the type and length of anesthesia received.
After Surgery – At Home
After returning home from surgery, you should have someone stay with you for the first 24 hours. Your surgeon will provide specific instructions for post-op care at home. If you experience any difficulty, please contact your surgeon. Please do not drive, engage in strenuous activities, drink alcoholic beverages, or make important decisions for 24 hours following surgery.
A nurse from King of Prussia Surgery Center will contact you within 72 hours after surgery to evaluate your recovery. However, if you experience any problems prior to that, call your surgeon’s office immediately.
Your Feedback is Important to Us
You will be asked to complete a survey about the care you received. Please take the time to complete this survey. Sharing your experience helps us to enhance and improve our service.